-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday, September 21, 2009

2 days in Bangkok & Pictures

July 14 -cont-

On the plane to Bangkok I met a couple from Hawaii who offered to let me ride in their taxi into the city (it was a ½ hour drive from the airport). I was talking to the woman about my volunteering and everything and it turns out that she was an orphan as well. They insisted upon paying for the taxi ride and made sure that I got to my hotel safely. I wish I would’ve gotten their email addresses or something. I hope they know how thankful I was!

Best hostel in Bangkok, quite possibly in the world - Lub*D!

I walked what I thought was a short distance to Lumphini Park to see the Asian aerobic class. It was pretty much worth the 20 minute walk.

On the way back I was starving, so I scarfed down some Pad Thai for just $2!!!

July 15

I went to the palace today via the water ferry. It was interesting to see a palace in the middle of a city that reminded me of New York. It seemed out of place. As I was walking around I saw an interesting vendor – he was selling ice cream sandwiches. Literally, scoops of ice cream on a roll and sprinkled with nuts.

It was an internal battle for me as to whether or not to go to Starbucks. On the one hand, why would I go there? I can go anytime in the States. On the other hand, how cool is it to go to Starbucks in another country? I went in and it turned out to be a good move because I found a grande plastic reusable cup that I was not able to find in the U.S.

Curry tip – do not assume that the waitress will know that you are a sissy American when saying that a curry “isn’t that spicy”. It will indeed be spicy and it will burn your mouth.

Yoga tip – do not go to yoga immediately after consuming said curry. Luckily I had an hour in between which turned out to be a long enough break, but it could have turned out very badly. You can read more about the yoga experience here.

July 16

Time to go home.

I didn’t fully understand it then, but I’m realizing more and more every day that I experienced things and went on an adventure that will always have an impact on my life. It’s been 2 months since my trip and I still think about when I can go again...




The rest of the pictures are here -

Cambodia - http://picasaweb.google.com/abbiemichelle/Cambodia#

Thailand - http://picasaweb.google.com/abbiemichelle/Bangkok#

No comments: