-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, December 12, 2008

Volunteering in Cambodia

I blogged about going to Cambodia with United Planet probably 6 months ago and never really mentioned it again, but I decided today that it's time to really get serious and think about this trip. I already pushed it back to July because I doubted that I would be able to get the funds together for this trip, but after a particularly inspiring goal setting clinic at the lululemon in Santa Monica last night, I realized that this is something that I am passionate about, and I put my intentions out there, it will happen. So I'm putting my intentions out there and by June 1, 2009 I am raising $3000.
Why volunteer? Why Cambodia? One of my passions in life is teaching & constantly learning, and another passion is helping those less fortunate than I. I chose to volunteer in Cambodia because 1. the mission of this particular country with the volunteer organization is to work in a community center and teach English and other skills, and 2. Cambodia will be a country that is nothing like I have ever seen or experienced. I will learn so much about the culture and lifestyle that I expect to learn much more from them than they will learn from me.
I have set up a fundraising website to make it easy for anyone to donate. I will reach my goal when 600 people donate just $5. That's just sacrificing one trip to Starbucks! So please, even if you can't donate, forward this to someone who might be able to. With this trip I'm "being the change" I want to see in the world, and I would love your support!

http://www.firstgiving.com/abbiemood

No comments: